Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the world.
2020 CDC statistics estimate that 1 in 54 children in the United States is born with autism spectrum disorder. That’s 1 in 37 boys and 1 in 151 girls. And epidemiological studies estimate a global prevalence of 1 in 132 children!
What is happening to create this disturbing statistic? And more specifically: how are our genes interacting with our environment that would cause such an exponential rise?
In this week’s episode, I’ve brought back Dr. Judith Bowman MD, co-founder of Mensah Medical, to talk about the underlying causes of this multifactorial condition.
We talk about the role folic acid plays in the in utero environment, gut inflammation, and high oxidative stress, as well as copper’s impact on the brain and body.
Dr. Bowman and her colleague, Dr. Albert Mensah, combine traditional medicine with a biochemical approach to treating behavioral and cognitive disorders, autism spectrum disorder, depression, including postpartum depression and women’s health anxiety, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and other biochemical imbalances.
Dr. Bowman has treated over 30,000 patients using all-natural, non-pharmaceutical targeted nutrient therapy, trains physicians in advanced nutrient therapy techniques, and facilitates outreach clinics all over the United States.
My hope is that this episode will give you a better understanding of how autism impacts us all and how we can reduce, and dare I say, eliminate the occurrence of this disorder.
Listen to the full episode to hear:
- The “Bermuda Triangle” of autism – high oxidative stress, undermethylation, and epigenetic insults
- The role severe oxidative stress and genetic predisposition play in the occurrence of autism spectrum disorder
- The effect folic acid has on the in-utero environment and how copper overload impacts the brain
- Why lumping autism and Asperger’s syndrome together is based on a lack of understanding
- Some common misconceptions and myths surrounding autism spectrum disorder
Learn more about Dr. Bowman:
It’s Not Your Fault You Feel The Way You Do!
Get my free ebook and learn why feeling crappy isn’t your fault. You will also receive regular emails from me with tips, advice, interviews, and recipes. Leave your name and email and I’ll send you a free copy.