EP 54: Reversing Hashimoto’s and Autoimmune Diseases with Donna Mazzola, PharmD
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.
In 2014, it was estimated that 14 million people in the US alone were impacted by this disorder. And women are seven times more likely than men to have Hashimoto’s.
When left untreated can create a cascade of debilitating symptoms, which is why today’s conversation with pharmacist Donna Mazola is so important.
We talk about the four pillars to reversing autoimmune disease and being empowered to take control of your own health.
Donna Mazzola is a Pharmacist who has always had a fascination with natural healing and preventative care. After obtaining a Doctorate in Pharmacy, Donna realized that medicine has a place in healing, but it’s the balance between nutrition and medicine that impacts disease. This fascination became an obsession after a personal diagnosis with Hashimotos in 2015. Her disease pushed her to embark on a journey to seek answers and identify the root cause related to the rise in autoimmune and other inflammatory chronic conditions. On this journey, she obtained a Master’s degree in Functional Medicine and Human Nutrition and gave birth to Dr.AutoimmuneGirl, her persona and passion to empower people with the knowledge to take control of their health. Donna is on a mission to educate the world on the healing powers of food and give meaning to the concept of food as medicine.
Listen to the full episode to hear:
- Why healing your gut is the first step in managing autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto’s
- The micronutrients your body needs to effectively generate thyroid hormones and why many of us are deficient in them
- Why you need a “control what you can control” approach to environmental toxins
- How stress impacts inflammation and proven ways to mitigate it
Learn more about Dr. Donna Mazzola:
- The Role of Stress in the Clinical Expression of Thyroid Autoimmunity
- The relationship between oxidative stress and autoimmunity in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- A concise review of Hashimoto thyroiditis (HT) and the importance of iodine, selenium, vitamin D and gluten on the autoimmunity and dietary management of HT patients.
- The Effect of Gluten-Free Diet on Thyroid Autoimmunity in Drug-Naïve Women with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: A Pilot Study