It’s official, National Ice Cream Month is in full swing! And with all the fresh fruit in season, there’s no shortage of wonderful options to choose from.
Never fear, you can enjoy this most delicious treat without compromising your health.
Here’s How to Prepare Your 5 Minute Ice Cream:
Freeze your fruit. And I don’t mean wash it and throw it in a ziploc bag. The key is to wash thoroughly then place fruit on a parchment lined sheet tray in a single layer. Freeze overnight (this keeps them from sticking together). Then transfer to a bag or container for longer term storage. Since bananas make a wonderful base for other flavors, I always have them in the freezer for this very purpose.
Fat rules. You need fat to make it work. I like to use full-fat organic coconut milk, but if you can tolerate it, and have access to raw cream, you can use that too.
Be smart about sugar. Maple syrup, coconut nectar, and yacon syrup, as well as liquid stevia are good choices. Bananas are sweet enough on their own so I often omit additional sweeteners.
Figure out your flavor profile. The option are endless so have fun and experiment. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Banana/Cacao Nib/Cinnamon
Here’s How to Make Your 5 Minute Ice Cream:
- Get out your trusty blender (a high-speed option like Vitamix works best, you can also use a food processor with the S blade)
- Add fruit
- Coconut milk or cream (start with a small amount and add more as needed for consistency)
- Liquid stevia (start with a few drops, too much and it will turn bitter!)
- Pinch unrefined salt
- Spices, herbs, nibs, bits
- Blend away and enjoy!
How’s that for a super easy treat? As always, let me know how it goes in the comments below!