Simple Butternut Squash Soup
My simple butternut squash soup is the perfect addition to your fall recipes. It’s my favorite season and with all the beautiful colors of fall comes one of my favorite soups to warm your soul.
What I love about butternut squash is how versatile and naturally sweet it is. And the best part about this recipe is you just throw the ingredients in a pot and it basically cooks itself.
Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients:
- 1 whole butternut squash, peeled and cubed (many grocery stores sell them already cubed)
- 1 whole sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cups free-range, organic, chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk (if you are intolerant to coconut (or copper toxic), try my rice milk recipe instead.
- Coconut oil or ghee (clarified butter) for cooking
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish (optional)
Butternut Squash Soup Instructions:
- Sauté chopped onion in coconut oil or ghee in a large pot.
- Add chopped butternut squash to pot, and pour in broth.
- Add in cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender, purée the soup until silky smooth.
- Stir in the coconut or rice milk and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning (you may require a bit more salt).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cinnamon and fresh chopped thyme or thyme sprigs, if desired.
Be sure to serve with a brain-loving protein of your choice such as pastured chicken (high in vitamin B-6) or grass-fed steak (high in zinc).
Cheers to warming your soul!
As always, I’d love to know how it turns out for you in the comments below!
2 thoughts on “Simple Butternut Squash Soup”
We need a link to a printable version so we can print and add it to our cookbooks for regular making! It sounds wonderful and in the harsh New England weather (its below Zero right now) a new soup is a perfect addition to my cookbook!
Thank you Jen! I love this soup and have been making it often. Simplicity is divine!