EP 52: What Is The Main Cause of PCOS? with Dr. Felice Gersh
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is the most common endocrine disorder in women.
And all too often, women are told that hormonal birth control is the best treatment option.
Today, I invited Dr. Felice Gersh back to the show to discuss PCOS and why the birth control pill is not the answer, the different types of PCOS, and the role diet and the gut microbiome play in treating this disorder.
Dr. Felice Gersh is board certified in OB-GYN and Integrative Medicine. She taught as an assistant clinical professor at the Keck USC School of Medicine for 12 years and is the founder and director of the Integrative Medical Group of Irvine, California.
A globally recognized expert on women’s health, Dr. Gersh regularly speaks at conferences around the world and is also the best-selling author of PCOS SOS and her most recent book, Menopause: 50 Things You Need to Know about what to expect during the three phases of menopause.
Listen to the full episode to hear:
- How estrogen plays a role throughout the body and how that impacts the varied symptoms of PCOS
- How hormonal birth control masks symptoms but can actually make systemic issues worse
- The connection between PCOS, gut dysbiosis, and autoimmune disorders
- How PCOS impacts fertility, pregnancy, and infants
Learn More About Dr. Felice Gersh:
- Integrative Medical Group of Irvine
- Instagram: @Dr.FeliceGersh
- Facebook: @IntegrativeMG
- Thyroid disorders and polycystic ovary syndrome: An emerging relationship
- The Androgen Excess and PCOS Society criteria for the polycystic ovary syndrome: the complete task force report
- Endocrine disruptors and thyroid autoimmunity
- The endocrine disrupters: a major medical challenge
- Environmental Exposures and Autoimmune Diseases: Contribution of Gut Microbiome
- Insulin Resistance and the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Dietary Composition in the Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Systematic Review to Inform Evidence-Based Guidelines
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)