It’s my favorite time of year again. The air is crisp, food choices are warm and inviting, and the latest fashions are rich with depth. I love the beautiful autumn colors and how they translate into some of our most nutritious foods: eggplant for its high antioxidant activity and ability to fight free radicals, brussels sprouts for their capacity to ward off inflammation, and beets for their detoxifying effects.
And what about apples? Many don’t realize apples have a season, but they do, and now is the best time to enjoy them.
High in antioxidants such as vitamin C and a variety of polyphenols, apples are wonderful in recipes this time of year. Be sure to buy them organic, or better yet, from your local farmer as conventional apples rank very high in pesticides.
With my super yummy, grain-free apple cinnamon muffins, you can still feel good without disrupting blood sugar levels and creating inflammation.
Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins Ingredients:
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup organic yacon syrup
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1 tablespoon organic, pure vanilla extract
- 2 organic, medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced into ¼ cubes (any variety will do)
Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a ten-cup stainless steel muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Combine the almond flour, sea salt, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and cinnamon together in one large bowl.
- Using a whisk, combine the coconut oil, yacon syrup, egg, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Combine the wet mixture with the dry ingredients in the large bowl until entire batter is moistened. Gently fold in the diced apples.
- Distribute the batter evenly amongst the 10 greased muffin cups. Bake muffins for 30 to 35 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the muffin top comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool in the pan for 30 minutes, remove, then serve and enjoy!
It’s Not Your Fault You Feel The Way You Do!
Get my free ebook and learn why feeling crappy isn’t your fault. You will also receive regular emails from me with tips, advice, interviews, and recipes. Leave your name and email and I’ll send you a free copy.