This is my take on Dr. Henry Bieler’s famous broth and the traditional potassium broth. This tonic is wonderful for restoring acid/alkaline balance and sodium/potassium balance to organs and glands. It is also wonderful for those under stress or suffering from stress-related conditions, and is an amazing rejuvenator when recovering from illness. Be sure to use organic produce.
“When toxemia is present, without symptoms of a specific disease, but with liver impairment, a short fast on vegetable broth or soup is a natural and efficient treatment that will relieve the liver of its congestion and restore it to normal function.”
Henry Bieler, MD, Food is Your Best Medicine
Nourishing Ultra Broth Ingredients:
- 3 medium squash (I like zucchini) chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
- 4 potatoes (scrubbed well)
- 1 small sweet potato or yam (gives it a nice sweetness)
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 – 1 ½ inch slices of ginger (peeled and thinly sliced)
- ½ cup of sea weed: nori, dulse, wakame, kelp, or kombu
- 3 cloves garlic
- Unrefined salt to taste
Nourishing Ultra Broth Instructions:
- Peel potatoes. Place peelings along with remaining ingredients in a large stainless steel or ceramic stock pot (you can boil peeled potatoes with the broth and use them for another dish if you like).
- Cover with purified water (about 4 – 5 quarts)
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for about an hour.
- Add parsley and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, cool and strain into glass jars.
Drink as needed throughout the day and let me know how it goes in the comments below!