No-Fuss Tostadas that are easy to make.
Now that summer is in full swing, I’m really craving Mexican food. I love how Mexican cuisine is crunchy, spicy, colorful and flavorful all at the same time.
In fact, my mouth is watering as I write this.
And even though tostada means “toasted”, I’m sure you’ll agree that my version is just as good sans traditional corn tortilla.
Jicama or Mexican yam, a tuberous root grown in Mexico.
Jicama is insanely versatile. You can eat it raw or cooked and because it’s flavor neutral, it pairs well with a wide variety of cuisines. Plus its moderate carb content (11 grams per cup, sweet potato is 27) makes it the perfect addition to a healthy diet. Personally, I love to use it in place of recipes that call for crunch, and we all love crunch don’t we?
Now on to my tostada recipe.
No-Fuss Tostadas Ingredients:
- 1 whole jicama, peeled and cut in half (cut around the body not the root ) – I like to use my mandolin for this, but if you want large tostada’s you’ll have to use a knife because it won’t fit on your mandolin. Plus a mandolin will yield an easy, uniform cut.
- Grass-fed ground beef – I like lean, but use whatever you want. More fat equals more flavor.
- Pico de gallo (preferably organic)
- Raw goat cheese (optional)
- Hot sauce or spicy salsa – I like Oh Brother That’s Hot sauce sold at Whole Foods
- Mexican seasoning – I like Spicely brand also sold at Whole Foods
- Avocado – sliced lengthwise
- Coconut oil for cooking
- 1 lime
- Unrefined salt – I like the flavor of Himalayan crystal salt. Real salt is good too.
No-Fuss Tostadas Instructions:
- After peeling and slicing your jicama, brush with lime juice and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat, add beef and cook. About halfway through, add salt and Mexican seasoning. Cook through and drain.
- To dress tostada layer arugula, beef, cheese, pico de gallo, avocado and hot sauce.
Insert into your mouth for immediate pleasure.
Follow it up with my 5-minute ice cream. Mexican food belongs with ice cream folks.
Here’s what I want to know in the comments below:
How did this recipe turn out for you? Do you have your own you’d like to share with our community?
It’s Not Your Fault You Feel The Way You Do!
Get my free ebook and learn why feeling crappy isn’t your fault. You will also receive regular emails from me with tips, advice, interviews, and recipes. Leave your name and email and I’ll send you a free copy.